Quick Tips for Staying Healthy Through the Holidays
Christmas, New Year's, Hannukah, and more, the end of December to early January is a time of festivities, merriment, and, of course, delicious treats.
However, for those trying to stick to a healthy diet and exercise routine, the holidays can represent a massive hurdle.
While we are spending time with loved ones with good food all around, maintaining a healthy diet is anything but easy. With the flurry of activity, its not uncommon for healthy habits to be thrown off track.
Anthem, one of SOCAs most trusted partners, has put together a quick guide to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle while you fully enjoy the holiday season.
Keep reading to learn how you can maintain your healthy lifestyle throughout the holiday season.
Use These Tips to Stay Healthy During the Holidays
For most people, healthy habits come down to two main factors: diet and exercise.
During the holidays you may find yourself pressured to sit often and eat poorly. It is no wonder that so many people struggle to stay healthy in December.
Lets look at a few ways we can maintain our healthy lifestyles during the holidays.
Find Creative Ways to Stay Active
Even during the holidays, its important to get the recommended 150 minutes of exercise each week.
In addition to helping you maintain a healthy weight, moving your body can also help lessen any holiday stress and improve your sleep quality.
Try these ideas to boost your heart rate this winter:
- Try out seasonal activities like sledding or skating. If youre in a warmer area, try a hike or a bike ride.
- Break up your day with three, 10-minute walks for some fresh air and sunshine.
- Plan a family trip to the bowling alley or an indoor trampoline park.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or park further away when you go to the store.
Master Healthy Holiday Eating
Maintaining a balanced diet, especially during the holidays, can be difficult. Its easy to overdo it when so many holidays and winter traditions involve delicious food and drinks.
Try these healthy eating tips to stay on track while still enjoying the tastes of the season:
- Bring a fruit spread, vegetable tray, or another healthy snack to a party so you always have options.
- Eat a light snack before you head out for a party to avoid overeating.
- Prioritize your favorite holiday treats and only indulge in the foods you love.
- Try not to drink your calories. Drink plenty of water instead to stay hydrated and help with digestion.
For more health tips, the CDC has compiled a list of the top ways to have a healthy holiday season. Read more here:
A Healthier Holiday with SOCA
It is easy to overeat and neglect fitness during the holidays.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is always easier when you have a health plan to back you up.
For the best small business health plans, SOCA is here to help! We offer superior health insurance through your chamber of commerce, to ensure you and your employees can stay healthy all year long.
The SOCA Benefit Plan, backed by Anthem, is a multiple employer welfare arrangement (MEWA) that lets eligible businesses join together to share in the overall claims risk.
Through the SOCA Benefit Plan, your small business can. enjoy competitive rates, predictable monthly payments, health plans that meet your needs, and more!
If your small business is ready for the SOCA advantage, reach out to learn more about this unique health benefits solution.
Are you happy with the SOCA difference? Leave us a review on Google here!